Mayor Kip Holden never ceases to amaze me with his spendthrift plans for taxpayers of East Baton Rouge Parish. While the entire country continues to make cutbacks, “our Mayor” seeks out new ways to hit voters in the pocketbook. Since his tax plan failed last fall, he has continued to seek out ways to get around voters and fund his own selfish desires to spend our money extravagantly.
Attention Mayor Holden: Every dime you spend has to find a source. That source is the taxpayers. Ever heard of saving money? Has the thought struck you to find ways to cut back spending? Evidently not!
Some of Mayor Holden’s latest spendthrift philosophies include:
- Going to Washington, D.C. to ask for $800 million of President Obama’s stimulus package. Instead of encouraging Washington against spending more of our tax dollars and reducing long-term debt, Holden is vying for funding of his special projects. He was so bold as to say he should “come out of there with a pretty good chunk of change”.
- Asking the EBRP Metro Council to spend $1 million for land to put up a parking lot.
- Spending $17 million to expand the River Center that expands meeting rooms from 8 to 15 for the upcoming bowling congress.
- Renewed a $500,000 contract with BRAC (Baton Rouge Area Chamber) for economic development of EBR Parish. This brings total payments to BRAC in the amount of $1.5 million since 2007.
- Pushed through a $110 million bond issue for the Green Light Plan with the new Metro Council even though the CSRS project manager could not specify which projects would be funded. What the ?
To add insult to injury, Mayor Holden is planning on pushing his $989 million tax proposal again this fall to voters, and excluding any benefit to the bedroom communities of Central, Baker and Zachary. (These areas helped defeat the tax proposition.) Interesting.
As of January 1, 2009, our spendthrift Mayor Kip Holden has already spent or has plans to spend a grand total over $928 million in tax dollars. When you add the proposed tax plan this fall of $989 million in new tax dollars, you come up with a super grand total of $1,918,000,000 (yes that is $1 billion $918 million).
Wow! This unrestrained spending by Holden must stop! It was no secret I did not support Holden for Mayor. I believe he lives with reckless abandon in so many ways and spending our tax dollars is probably #1 on his agenda.
At what point will Mayor Kip “Spendthrift” Holden stop? Where is the old watchdog group TaxBusters when we need them? Fred Dent, are you out there? (Gotta give ole’ Fred credit for speaking out against the $500,000 BRAC expenditure – so I know he’s out there!) Watchdogs are an important necessity when we have a Mayor that insists on spending vs. cutting back in these troubled times.
I cannot stand by and listen how great our community is doing from Mayor Holden and how we need two new downtown hotels when I read in the Business Report how our downtown hotel business is down 14-17% from this time last year. Of course it is, FEMA guests stimulated our hotel industry . . . temporarily! Wake up folks!
Mayor Holden is definitely out of control on spending. We are one month into his new term and he already has visions of an increase of nearly $2 billion in spending. When will the madness stop?
Until next time,
Red Stick Republican