Let’s talk about one of the oldest political tricks in the book — Influence Peddling. It come in many forms, and is referred to by many names. The key is to recognize Influence Peddling in some of its truest forms in East Baton Rouge Parish prior to the fall election.
In some political circles, influence peddling is extremely effective and considered a legal business deal — depending upon your viewpoint (i.e. lobbying).
For those who are in tune with the media — behind closed doors or via quick mobile dialing — it can also be extremely advantageous (i.e. keeping things under wrap).
In the community, it comes in many forms including controlling the flow of information, determining where focus is put, and deciding where and from whom and to whom funding will flow.
The examples could be lengthy, but why prolong our pain? Let’s just get to the point, shall we?
Influence Peddling has come to mind in the current climate of East Baton Rouge Parish politics and current leadership — especially in light of the coming fall election.
Let me be very clear whom I refer to when considering ‘current’ leadership.
- They are the individuals who decide the who, what, where, and how.
- Simply put, they are the ‘powers that be’ — those behind the scenes who direct and determine what is, and what is not, done.
- Depending on your working knowledge of who is really in control of such matters, they include members of the media, key community leaders, heads of community organizations and businesses, and a handful of politicians who both need and desire to be peddled regardless of what is right or wrong.
- They are the true decision makers and spin doctors of our political, economic, and financial climate in the Red Stick.
- For the past dozen or so years, they have determined where we are headed and how we will get there.
They should also be held accountable for where we currently are — something they are attuned to and very good at blaming on others. Blame-shifting and influence peddling go hand-in-hand.
God help you if you should ever choose to disagree or question these influential peddlers or their political figureheads. They are able, and more than willing, to strike back with a vengeance.
After all, influence peddlers stick together and are much like a brotherhood that almost appear to have unlimited powers to cut you off or make you into a spectacle — whatever suits the scenario.
They remind me of the mafia — a brotherhood of sorts that stick together against those who might interfere with their desires or whims. The power of the political machine or editorial pen can be enormous in their world — and in yours.
I am not a conspiracy theorist. I work completely on the premise of truth revealed through extensive research that brings forth a working knowledge of the facts.
Freedom from spin will set you free, and allow you to make more informed decisions.
Unfortunately, not everyone wants to know the truth. In biblical times, they wanted to believe a lie, so God allowed a messenger to tell them what they wanted to hear: II Thessalonians 2:11.
Don’t be caught unaware. Don’t be willing or desirous to believe a lie. Do your homework. Avoid the spin doctors. Look long and hard at the facts. And, above all else, be an informed citizen. That is your responsibility before entering the voting booth. Your vote does count.
Until next time,
Red Stick Republican
Comments Off on Influence Peddling in EBRP?